What is a Dentists Specialization?
In our previous post, we have discussed the steps in finding the dentist you need for your dental care abroad. Now, let’s move on to know what is a dentists specialization. Most dentists study a particular area of practice to be able to perform certain dental procedures. These dental professionals may limit their practices under the scope of their specialties.
According to the American Dental Association (ADA) and the New York State University (Education Department), here is a list of dental specialists recognized by their organizations. Also included is a list of common procedures performed under each dental specialty – so we could easily know what specialist to consult when you have dental concerns.
PROSTHODONTIST (RESTORATIVE DENTISTRY SPECIALIST)
Specializes in the following procedures:
- Dental Implants
- Porcelain Crowns & Fixed Bridges
- Tooth-Colored Dental Fillings
- Inlays, Onlays & Veneers
- They are also trained to perform Root Canal Therapy.
ENDODONTIST (ROOT CANAL SPECIALIST)
- May perform procedures for Dental Trauma & Cracked teeth.
ORTHODONTIST & DENTOFACIAL DENTISTRY (BITE AND DENTAL BRACES SPECIALIST)
Application of the following:
- Dental Braces & Retainers
- Treatment of Malocclusions (improper bites)
ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL SURGEONS (SPECIALIZES IN TOOTH EXTRACTION AND ORAL SURGERY)
Other treatments performed:
- Maxillofacial Regeneration (Facial Reconstruction through Advanced Stem Cell technique)
- Head and Neck Reconstruction (Head and Neck Plastic Surgery)
- Head and Neck Cancer or Microvascular Reconstruction
- Cranio-maxillofacial Trauma
- Craniofacial Surgery/Cleft Surgery/Pediatric Maxillofacial surgery
- Cosmetic Facial Surgery
PERIODONTIST (GUM DISEASE SPECIALISTS)
- Treatment of Gingivitis (swollen, bleeding gums); Periodontitis (untreated Gingivitis)
PEDODONTIST (DENTIST FOR CHILDREN)
- Provides prevention teachings on proper diet, fluoride usage and oral hygiene practices.
- Also deals with dental caries (tooth decay).
ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL RADIOLOGIST (IMAGING SPECIALIST)
- Uses imaging technologies to diagnose diseases in the head and neck region.
ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL PATHOLOGIST
- Studies the causes of mouth diseases.
PUBLIC HEALTH DENTIST
- Helps in promoting good dental health and controlling dental diseases in a community.
If you have questions about your dentist’s specialization and the procedures he can perform, please do not hesitate to contact us!